Monday, March 21

the tale of me and Emily Chalmers...

if you are sitting comfortably, then i shall begin...

once upon a time lived Tif, it was many moons ago and she was misplaced and some may say, quite positively lost in a land of reproduction furniture and fancy front living rooms.
one day, Tif found herself pottling in the book store as she was apt to do, of a friday afternoon with a young clan. she thought it most nice of the book folks to place the children's books next to the craft and interior books. as she perused the shelves whilst glancing over at her clan from time to time, her little beady eye spied 'flea market style' upon the shelves of creative goodness.


Tif gasped 'thee gasp'... upon taking down this peachy book and beginning to turn the pages, she knew this was a wonderful happening to outdo all happenings that had ever happened to her in a book store before. After several page turns, it became quite apparent to Tif she was no longer alone and lost with her granny chic loving ways.
(please note, at this time Tif did not know her granny chic loving ways had a name such as granny chic, that lovely little term of description came later in her life, but for this story i popped it in because it does describe so well what Tif liked)
Tif clutched her 'find', indeed hugging it like an old friend, she then rustled up her little clan and headed home to her cookie cutter new build in Edward ScissorHand land.

from that day forward, Tif kept her little 'flea market style' book by Emily Chalmers on her bedside cupboard. some days when she was a little lost, she would open it and lose herself amongst the pages.
(i am thinking it quite true to say, if you were to ask Tif, she would probably be able to tell you each and every room laid out within its fine peachy pages, was the extent of her attachment to the book.)

roll on quite a few moons, possibly over 50 of them or more and Tif found herself sitting at her little desk tippity tapping away at pennings for her own book. on reflecting over the past few years and indeed the fateful path which led her and her clan to live at Mossy Shed, Tif got to pondering. she pondered all the way back to when she was a little girl and then back again to where she was today. how the events which had led to her writing a book, upon reflection all appeared to be connected... even her stumbling across Emily and her wonderful world of 'flea market style'

it was late, Tif was a little punch drunk from writing most of the day on and off, in a moment of madness whilst the clan slept above her head she wrote to Emily Chalmers, introducing herself and her world of dottie angel, telling Emily of her admiration for her lovely books and then she ended her letter with some high hopes.

the next morning at 6:30am Tif's alarm woke her with feelings of the morning after and what had she done... she wrote to her soul sister Debbie and told her of her doings, her soul sister told her she was not nutty. however Tif was not convinced, accompanied Mr Doubter and his little voice of uncertainty. yes indeedy he was in fine mocking form and throughout the day continued to remind her less she forget and may it also be known, there was plenty of pacing and hand wringing as well
(i have put that in because all good stories need a bit of pacing and hand wringing).

the following day, after the morning after, Tif glanced at her emails and then she felt a little giddy, she sat down calling Used Dog and Little Olive to her side, for indeed a moment such as this must be witnessed. there in Tif's little inbox was Emily Chalmers no less and even more incredible were the words Emily had tippity tapped the other side of the pond in her lovely nest.
Tif read the mail several times over, then her and her canine companions hoppity skipped a couple of laps around the shed and then promptly collapsed in a little heap on the floor with tears upon their cheeks
(actually Used Dog and Little Olive did several laps but did not shed a tear. Tif, however only managed one hoppity skip lap due to unfitness levels, but was very good at the tears side of things, i know this to be true as i was there)


after some nattering, Emily and Tif discovered they had quite a bit in common, those bits including a love of second hand goodness, furry friends, sharing the same age, kindred spirits and believing in fate, oh yes and they both liked grannies.

and so it came to pass, Emily and her lovely self, thought Tif's high hopes were perfectly achievable and spent her time wisely with pencil and scrap of paper in pocket waiting for moments of 'brilliant thoughts' to hit. at any given time Emily could be seen scribbling her little 'brilliant thoughts' upon her paper, then safely tucking it away whilst she went about her busy creative days in Caravan and elsewhere.
and as for Tif? well the little piece of paper Emily carried in her pocket served as a reminder to never ever doubt what a little bit of 'high hopes' can lead to...

the peachy crafty life of Tif Fussell
foreword by
Emily Chalmers

the end

she is washing undies and packing twinkies for travels to a small island called old blighty ~ Tif

29 comments:

Floss said...

Ooh, Tif- I loev Flea Market Style and it's fantastic to read how it inspired you. This foreward is just the icing on the cake - I'm so glad you were brave enough to write to EC!

Rose said...

How exciting for you! Can't wait to read your book!

Suz said...

You just make me smile all the time ;-)

Thank you!!!

Fondly,
Suz

Debbi said...

Oh, you happy girl, you! :)
~Debbi
{and hearty congratulations!}

Shelley in SC said...

Ahh, what a lovely and most satisfying story!! Big congratulations. How very, very exciting. Can't wait for your book!! Maybe it will make a flea market-er out of me yet : ).

Carol said...

Oh how lovely Tif. I know how well "a shall I, shan't I, she'll think I'm mad, I am mad" high hopes can have the most peachy result.
Safe journey.
Carol xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Tif, have a GREAT SPRING!
My compliments for your blog!!!
A kiss from Italy!
Arianna
www.ilfilodiarianna-ari@blogspot.com

Katie said...

Such a wonderfully happy ending! I like this story quite a lot.

Francesca said...

hold the phone! is emily chalmers from caravan writing your forward? no wizzles! how lovely to have such a connection with someone you've admired for so long. x

sarah said...

how amazing and wonderful! this story makes me so happy for you! and happy for me and everyone else who will be buying your book as soon as it makes it's appearance!

Elizabeth said...

you are an inspiration. congrats on the book and thank you for sharing your journey.

Trisha Brink Design said...

On a day where there has been nothing but sad sighs, frumpy frowns, and aching anger....this little Dottie Ditty has made me SMILE. :) Thank-you SO much...what a gift that was!
T.
x

Frances said...

Well. May I first say that I am so happy to be (I think) the first to comment.

Dottie Angel, your posts always have a certain unique creative lift to them. I'm pretty sure that folks like me who live far and wide away from you really do look forward to seeing what you'll post.

As we read your posts, our inner thoughts might encourage us to try some creativity for ourselves. You really do have a lofty, friendly and encouraging voice.

Thank you for every post. Let's keep the chain of creative inspiration and productivity going!

xo

Sharon Stanley said...

ah, this is the stuff of dreams. thanks for sharing a high hopes tale that gives us all high hopes that dreams do often come true thanks in part to nice people who are encouragers of others! tif is a lucky duck.

Angela said...

Oh Tif, this is the first time I've commented on your delicious blog and this time I feel I MUST. How absolutely wonderful and special that Emily Chalmers has agreed to write your foreward!!! I can completely understand the tears. Oh, congratulations you! I also have this scrumptious book and look forward to it arriving along with all of our other belongings from across the ocean from Australia to.... Texas. Thankyou for your dear and lovely blog.
Angela

Michelle said...

After reading this my dear Tif...
I have tears of joy for you...
I too have had Emily's book for many moons...and also purchased "Cheap Chic" not so long ago...
I recieved a e-mail from Emily's assistant when inquiring how to purchase this later book...and I remember having a skip in my step afterwards...as she wrote that Emily would love to help me recieve a copy if I was unable to find one here in Australia and she would even sign it for me...
I was most thrilled but did decline as that very morning I had purchased a copy through Borders online...
But that always reminds me how sweet Emily and her assistants can be...to think of someone on the otherside of the world who probably never see the inside of her peachy shop or purchase her vintage goodness still found the time to reply to someone with sweet words and much thought...
Emily and you will get along famously and I am sure that fate will open a lovely new door to goodness...

Diana said...

Oh Tif that is wonderful! Am SO looking forward
to the book and this is the icing on the cake.

nadine paduart said...

wow. if your book is ging to be anything like emily chalmers (no doubts there), than i will be going through exact described feelings of elation as i felt, when picking up fle market style myself, years ago... must dig that book from one of my removal boxes then, hey?
have a safe journey. looking forward to the publishing of.
n♥

CottonAndCard said...

Oh I loved this! It gave me goosebumps. I can't wait to see your book. Thank you for your kind and encouraging words last post (Yes I am blogging away happily now!)

lisa_clark_68@hotmail.com said...

todays blog is my fav post. I can name my "style". Hooray for you and your kindred spirit!

Brenda @ 13 Acres said...

Well done Tif! This is most wonderful, delightful news - how exciting for you....no wonder you did a jolly jig and then shed tears!! Should never doubt yourself - you are a gem xx

Ahipara Girl said...

I love Fleamarket Style. That was my go-to feel good book too! What a wonderful union Tiff between u and Emily. I couldn't imagine a peachier combo. Congrats. No wonder u've been excited! Happy Journeys. ;)

Eleni said...

This is a lovely lovely story! I might be a little teary myself, for it reminds us all that High Hopes do come true :)

kath said...

How very lovely indeed.

Vicki K. said...

This is so so so so exciting !!!!

dottie angel said...

thank you kindly my dears! i must tell you indeed, Emily Chalmers is every bit as lovely as her books and i am positively beaming from her kindness too :)

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

I am so happy for you! What a lovely tale.

Jessica said...

Oh yes Emely´s books are soooo good! Cheap chic is on my bed table for a long time now... I hope your book will be available in germany too, so that it will be in a good company wiht cheap chic :-)

Candy Pop said...

I went to Caravan the other week and Emily was in there! I was too shy to say hi - her book is also my all time fave! :)