Friday, March 4

on a roll...

yes indeedy, whilst we are on a roll,

"what sort of roll is that Tif, a bread roll, or perhaps a tootsie roll?" i hear you cry

oh dearest dearies, you are quite the cards are you not! no i am talking a wallpapering roll. (ha ha hee hee, brilliant pun 'tis it not!)
and
the lovely Mrs Monkey and her newly adopted baby with their mighty fine wallpapered ears.

so i thought to myself as i sit here tippity tapping, why not finish up the week with more wallpapering moments within the shed. then we can all be done with it and move on to yet more thrilling things next week. if perhaps you think it can't get more thrilling then me talking wallpaper talk three posts in a row, then if i were to mention i have a little thing called 'wheres dottie' lined up for next week, then perhaps the monitor which records levels of thrillingness somewhere might just have peaked a little above the wallpaper thrilling mark. who knows, only the person who owns such a monitor would know, but i like to think it will peak quite nicely.

a few weeks back, i do believe this was when i was on a blogging break, headscarf donned and pennings going well, i had a moment, another antsy creative moment. this time my victim was our entrance way wall.
'tis a little bit of wall and indeed the very reason why i fell in love with mossy shed. i have said it before but for those that perhaps are new, or indeed slept through when i said it before (and who could blame you) i will recap.

you open our front door and right in front of you is my wallpapered wall. it is not very far in front of your nose, and if i take a 'face on' photo i have to stand on my doorstep to take it.
to the right is the stairs and the step down into our lounge, to the left is my studio and the narrow hallway to the kitchen. no doors, just open doorways.


last year i found some retro goodness from the peachy folks at 'h is for home' and promptly papered our little wall. (please see above) i was delighted with the results and do not understand why i had to go and let my antsy mood take such a risk. yes i 'risked it for a biscuit' and afterwards, as if that wasn't enough 'biscuit risking' behaviour, i then hammered lots of nails in the wall and covered my newly risky bisky wallpaper with vintage plates.


now i am not the first to paper their wall in different strips for sure, however when i have seen it before, it has always been with lighter brighter more retro florals and because of that reason my doubting ways took a hold


after which, i stood back and thought "blimey Tif, this is a bit exotic even for you". i then began to fret, worried i had lost my tiny tasteful mind, visions of dolls and their knitted toilet roll covering skirts came to mind. i felt a little faint... just as i was beginning to feel super duper dizzy the handcrafted secondhand gods intervened. they handed me a pair of rose colored specs and told the little voice within my head called Mr Doubter,
"actually if you look upon this wall of many 'goings on', it is no different to the way Tif patches her cushions together"

suddenly Mr Doubter high tailed it out of the shed door and ever since everytime i walk through mossy shed's front door, rose colored specs firmly upon my nose i am most delighted with the results of my antsy wallpapering moment

she is thanking you most kindly for cheering her week with your sunny comments and is wishing you a peachy weekend ~ Tif

46 comments:

Unknown said...

May I ask how you attach your plates to your wall? I have a stack of plates and a wall but not sure of the best way to attach them. I like your wall, the brown is a change but very grown up feeling.

Andrea said...

'tis lovely jubbly Tif

ax

Sarah said...

I, for one could never tire of yapping about wallpaper. I am just a little bit in love with your stripy wall and your decorative plates. I've been harboring secret patchy wallpapery thoughts for a while now unbeknownst to the Mr and have collected a bit of a {free!!} stash of paper samples for experimental patchwork wall...at some point....probably.....Thanks for the inspiration. x

Stine Hoelgaard Johansen said...

I really like how you play with the wallpaper


stine:)

Rynae said...

Amazing work and great humour, when does your book officially come out? i know its early summer but a specific date would be great as my birthday is in early summer.

Betty Zee said...

Lovely to see the wall and plates together...The 'goings on' when patching together whether it be fabric or paper are a joy to see.. I wish I had a wall that I could do the same with!! As always a pleasure to see what you are up to and NEVER a chore....

fee @ chipper nelly said...

Hey tiff, thanks for visiting me and for your much appreciated admiration of flossie! (imagine that being your nickname!! it was the name of said grandma's dog, who, when happy, would smile, with a full set of teeth on show...the funniest thing!)
I chuckled out loud at the thought of ben and flossie together.
fee x

melissa said...

I totally love the blue/brown wall, and the dishes hung up there just adds the finishing touch.

:)

paperbird said...

oh that Mr Doubter he is troublesome! I am so happy that the second hand gods intervened- your papered, plated wall is SO wonderful. I love.

It seems to me I need a pair of those rose colored glasses!

Ash said...

You put into words exactly how I've felt on more than one occasion, after taking a chance on whimsy.

Fear not: yours turned out beautifully! :D You've got me plotting away over wallpaper now. :O)

Hillery said...

I love it, I love it, I love it!! You have inspired me. I am a person who loves color and loves pattern, and loves texture but it so afraid of it. I am hoping that some day I will just get over it and jump in head first. Thanks for sharing. I love your little space here in blogland.

donna!ee said...

what a soothing & delightful mix of color, texture & content...you have inspired me once again!! :)

tea 4 tootles said...

Dear Tif,
I'm sorry but I must ask and maybe there are others who are also curious but how are you changing wallpaper so fast? stripping, gluing, lining up? Please, what is your secret? As I stare at my hallway that has intimidated me for three years now. I'm inspired! Please help!

tea 4 tootles said...

P.S. Looks Fabby!

Michelle said...

Dear Tif...
There are times when I walk into my front door that I need more than rose coloured glasses...
I need rose coloured googles...the sought that wrap right around and hold fast to my head...
I think if I walked into your house I would not even need glasses at all...
It's just too peachy perfect...

Sharon Stanley said...

it's you....it's divine..... it's fab-u-lous! goodbye mr doubter.

soisses-dasleben said...

*sitdown*
fantastic place to sit and look around!

Jo said...

Oh wow, how unique. The wall looks amazing and I think the plates bring it all together. Good on you for being so daring!

littlekarstar said...

Fantabulous. I have the urge to wallpaper...

wood & wool stool said...

this into your face wallpapered wall with different colors, patterns and plates on it, are just a brilliant entrance! mr doubter is very right! x

Sloppop Yeah said...

won-der-ful!! hugs and kisses from a lovely, sunny north of Holland.

imperfectly natural mama said...

I think it looks absolutely brilliant, and would love it in my own home.

annton said...

I am spellbound by this little corner!

Ruth said...

I love wallpaper - and I love your wallpapered entrance! How else could you ever display all the kinds of wallpaper you love. It would be a shame to use only one kind when there are so many. I wish you could see the wallpaper in the apartment I grew up in (in the 1940's and 50's) - I wish I had some to send you!! You are the greatest shed decorator of all!!

Miss Meg said...

I Love It!!
Actually I love everything you do. You are so so inspiring and I hope one day to actually get my butt into gear and do the things I dreams about doing : )

Love Your Work & Love YOU!!

Megan

In my house said...

Nice and Cool

Kram josse

Vicki K. said...

The wall definitely looks more tiffanized this way! It is lovely.

Scout Bibelot said...

You could even make "dolls with knitted skirts over toilet rolls" work. There's a challenge for you. Love your wall.

Deirdre said...

Oh! I love it, love it, LOVE IT! I think the colors work wonderfully well together, and the plates add such a touch of whimsical fabulousity! You are TOO TALENTED!
xo,
Deirdre

Amanda said...

I love it! It's just quirky enough!

dottie angel said...

oakie dokes lovelies, i hope i answer all the questions and don't miss any, tis early sunday and my cogs are not yet in gear!

rynae, no date set yet, as soon as i know i will be sure to mention it, for now it is summer 2011.

tea 4 tootles in this case for my hallway, i just papered the new papers over the top of the brown retro paper leaving some of the brown visible in the middle. in my studio it went up right on top of the other paper, but i did strip my orla paper and lordy, i do not know what it is about the paste here but it took half the plaster off with it, so for now on i just paper on top and yes i am aware it will make the person who owns mossy shed after me, weep :)

scout! gosh you are so funny, you made me chuckle for sure

linen and tulle, in the uk you can get a fabric disc with an adhesive backing for your plates which can be removed if needed without damage. i have never seen them here stateside but as i did not have enough, some of the plates are hung on the old fashioned spring thing.

and dearest readers, thank you for such lovely comments, you are incredibly kind about me and my antsy creative momments and i truly appreciate it :)

sue said...

I love your wallpaper stripes! very pretty am looking for some specially gorgeous wallpaper for my kitchen at the moment, just like that blue and green pattern so am a little bit jealous LOL.

Elizabeth said...

I think the fact that the designs on the wallpaper are retro make it work - it lends to the patchwork quality nicely.

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Tif ~
Now I need to find me some wallpaper! I am so inspired.. watch out!
~Katie

Planet Fur said...

Dear Tif, this is such a funny story (to which I can relate very much, thanks to that darn mr. Doubter). I love your wall and laughed out loud reading about your scary visions of toiletdolls. I think even a toiletdoll would look lovely in your home. ;-) Have a lovely day!

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

I must remember your phrase "tiny tasteful mind". I have those antsy moments myself (as does every artist, I'm sure) and I will have to utter a dottie-ism next time I do.

cornel said...

Love it! The paper and the plates. C x

Robyn said...

Wow, that is a great wall. Love the plates. So fun! Love it!

furrybees said...

This wall is fabulous. I am deeply envious of your plate collection. I have started one and that's all I have, one. I nearly bought a platter with a turkey on it the other day, just so that I could have two. Perhaps I shouldn't have listened to Mr Doubter. Thanks for giving me a chuckle and some inspiration.

Charis said...

Tif - I LOVE your wall!

Pixie said...

In a sing-song voice: Awesome!

Lisa said...

I love your hallway - you have a great retro look. Lisa:)

Kawaiicph said...

I love your blog and your style, it is so pretty :D

dottie angel said...

thank you again my lovelies for your kindness when it comes to my antsy wallpapering moments of late :)

Erin said...

thank you so much for the lovely inspiration! i spied some cute little plates at the thrift today but passed because I wasn't sure what to do with them. tsk, tsk - i may be making a quick trip back now;)

Tanya Murray said...

I like a lot of what you do, I REALLY do, but...as a friend I have to say...it's not working for me. There are a couple of comments too kind to say it too. Live with it a bit and I'll be very surprised if you don't change it within six months. It's not you. But that's OK cos sometimes you've got to break a few eggs to make an omelette. I love your style, stick with it kid.