Thursday, March 6

meet Vern...


my trusty old truck who's seen a thing or two in the past...tomorrow he goes in for his first surgery and i am quite looking forward to not worrying any more about the exhaust falling off every time i go up our hill and over the speed bumps...
as i mentioned before he comes with a classic eighties blue interior, and some little seats in the back for our #3 and #4 to sit. they have discovered it is easier and quicker to exit out the rear window than to wait for their mother to sort out the gears, put the 'hand pull' brake on and get out of her seat. Vern has a few age spots but what can one expect for his age...what's that you say?...yes you are quite right spring has sprung early here ("what are you talking about Tif?"..."stay with me on this one") and at times the sun can seem quite blinding...luckily my newly fashioned visors help me stay focused...

had a few thrifty finds this week, turns out the lighting shop i needed to go to is right next to a 'goodwill' store...how's that for a bit of luck. picked up a lace throw tablecloth thing and also a very sweet teapot and jug...it's got made in Japan on the bottom (i know...i felt the same) and although at first i believed it to be a coffee pot it appears to have the holes inside the spout to stop teabags going where they are not suppose to. i am very pleased with myself and my little teapot but worry that if i use it then it will end up like my other teapot, a chipped spout and very tea stained...the best bit of all, i got all the wrong stuff for the electrician so i have to return it and get something else...how lucky is that, i will be forced to enter the thrift store again...


i haven't made a great deal of progress towards the shop and am not very happy with myself...next week was looking better for getting work done but now it appears most of what should have been done this week building wise has now been pushed to next week...i did manage to achieve a small miracle and get my chair's slip cover done.


on close inspection there are no fancy details and piping but i am quietly amazed that it fits and sits straight. the fabric is just lovely but is really rather 'busy' in my studio next to 'orla'... for now the chair will stay in my studio until an airstream houses her...
talking of which, my man asked me last night when we were talking 'airstream talk'..."Tif, remind me again why we are doing this"...and i know when Saturday morning rolls around and we are standing looking at a potential 'Gladys' that he will question the sanity of it all, but secrectly i am quite sure he's always wanted an airstream trailer and a beat up truck he just won't admit it...

she's off to make a cup of tea in her kitchen rather than the hallway...it's bliss to be back at the sink ~ Tif

10 comments:

alice said...

That visor has really made me smile, it's so cool and unexpected!

A&AC project said...

Thank's for your mail Tif. life's ok right now thank's, can't complain ;)
Love that teapot and jug, simple and elegant.
Hope you can get get back to sewing soon.:)

Francesca said...

i love those little seats in your truck. i see he has already been doilified. i told you, it's only a matter of time...

Hear Me Roar! said...

A MAGAZINE?! Oh my goodness. And I never would have guessed it myself, but yes an ol' pickup truck named Vern is so perfect for you. I picture you getting out of Vern wearing a lovely frock with a pair of galoshes. You DO have galoshes, yes?

dottie angel said...

nope i do not have galoshes....i have the best fabby pair of biker/cowboy boots in duck egg blue. they are destined to become the footwear of mossy shed and it's acre. i shall of course show a picture in time...

Anonymous said...

The visor is so you Tif! Mine are still black plastic- and I strongly suspect they always will be. The success of your chair cover has given me hope that upholstery is not a black art and that I may be able to pluck up enough courage to cover a chair myself one day.

Anonymous said...

I love the doily visor. :>

Anonymous said...

Oh that dreamy Vern ... he's such a hunk :)I love that he's so secure in his truckhood that he's embraced the doily so well.

The pot and jug are lovely - thrifty karma seems high this week (I've done really well the last few outings) - maybe you can score a cowboy hat to match the boots :)

E

Monica said...

Love the visor and Vern is looking handsome!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your airstream search! I'm dreaming of one myself. But if I have to, I'd settle for any sort of travel trailer to remodel. We're hoping to find one within the next couple of years. And, I can't wait to personalize it. It'll be fun to see you work your sewing magic on yours!

Vern is perfectly box-y and I love his new visors.