Monday, November 5

Tif and her new sewing friend...

i am not sure why i give names to machines in my house...not all of them but just some. you become attached to them and it makes it so much harder when something goes wrong and you have to ditch them. for example 'Mrs. W. Machine' (although rubbish at washing) feels like a friend. she sits right along side my tumble dryer, who has remained nameless until just now. how sad to think my washing machine has a name and yet my tumble dryer does not, so i have named him 'Mr T'...

and so yesterday i knew it was time to move on from 'Miss S. Machine' who is well and truly a gonna (residing in Machine Heaven as i type), hand back 'Miss Margery' to her rightful owner (before she croaks it and i get accused of the crime) and venture forth to find a replacement. i don't know why i chose this weekend to do it, when we had six soccer games to get to and three house viewings, but there we go...


i believe i have found myself a trusty little work horse (just look at the wording above printed on her box)...she is basic, sturdy (ie. doesn't move across the table as one is sewing, unlike 'Miss S. Machine') and i am told by the sales lady, will go on and on and on (we'll see about that one). so meet 'Miss Ethel'...we have been getting to know each other...(and you may have to sit down here), i have even been reading her manual (gasp)...it is all a bit foreign but so far i have managed to learn enough to sew a straight line that isn't all snarled up.

the sales lady assured me that 'Miss Ethel' is a 'no brainer' little trooper, somehow she comes with the ability to read your mind (don't ask me how, it is a mystery and i am willing to believe its true). she achieves all stitches effortlessly, no tension issues ever (unlike myself) and just sews like a dream...only time will tell.


so i am off to try out my 'tea towel' making with 'Miss Ethel', the tea towels are coming along nicely and i will have some real results to show you by the end of the week with a bit of luck...


she's off, as 'Miss Ethel' is calling ~ Tif

9 comments:

Di said...

Hello to Miss Ethel!! I have just taken "borrowership" of my mum's sewing machine as I have plans for Christmas gitfs but I am not even sure I can sew in a straight line and as I failed to bring the rest/box for spools that is usually attached just below the foot it would appear to be difficult to use! Will have to wait till I go home again!! Enjoy Miss Ethel!

Gigibird said...

Congratulations.
Stella has recently bought a new sewing machine and they are having a very harmonious relationship thus far.

Anonymous said...

Nice!! A new machine is always a fun treat. My husband so sweetly bought me one about six years ago (because I was pleading for one) and I've only used it a few times. Each time, I need to relearn it. LOL

I'm hoping that will change once I have a project room... I'm itching to do some sewing. Your projects are very inspiring.

Stephne said...

My mum-in law is called Ethel, i refer to her as Ethel-red, it is a good name, to me it conjours up apron wearing, jam making and WW11 rationing,
Have fun with her, looking forward to all of the super-duper bits and pieces you will run up on her...Sx

Clang Clang said...

the queen is dead, long live the queen - long may you reign miss ethel x

roseroomnz.com said...

yes, I have tension issues also! Wonder if a new machine would fix it!

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

Oh my gosh I am soooo in love with this idea...would you mind if I pinched it (for home use only ofcourse, its amazing)!!!
Big congratulations on the new machine, its so good when you have a new one in your life it starts up all sorts of NEW stuff....
Suzie Sews

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Well Miss Ethel looks like she has a very fine pedigree.. unlike my bargain..(or so I thought) Savvy SInger.circa 1950. £5 from Cancer Research Shop. I finally face my fear and drag her out of her wooden case and lo... she doesn't work!!!!
One beautiful but redundant sewing machine later..
Would love your all singing all dancing Miss Ethel..

The Stuffed Squirrel said...

Ooooh I have been eyeing the Emerald for myself. I have the Rose and want a second machine. I so love my Viking, she is wonderful!