Thursday, November 8

the one without a title...(it's the potpourri going to my head)

the inspiration for the lamp appliques on my tea towels came to me last saturday night. i was waiting on the sofa at around 11:30 pm sending out a mental 'wish' that our #1 would hurry up and get home so i could go to bed...and while i was doing that i was 'multi tasking' my brain and thinking of ideas for tea towels. i knew when i had made my table cloth a few weeks back that tea towels would be something i would like to try. i am not so good at drying up with tea towels but i am good at hanging them on the rail of my cooker to add a bit of color to the kitchen...

so as i was gazing into space, it suddenly dawned on me, i was staring at the very object that would look just lovely on a tea towel...


now this lamp is one of my most favorite thrift store finds, it is also one of my most cheapest finds. it cost me $3...i love the color, that perfect shade of sludgy green, i love the flowers on the base and the shade didn't need to be changed out, what more could one ask for from a thrift store find...it was made in 1977 by someone who obviously liked to take pottery lessons and i think was actually quite good at it...

so there it was, the answer to my tea towel applique dilemena...retro/vintage lamps. the perfect excuse to go thrift shopping and to buy all those lamps one sees but can't justify buying because i already own a lot of thrift store lamps...


i have cranked out a few more tea towels on the old workhorse 'Miss Ethel' and plan to put them in the shop along with a few 'lamp' inspired cushions...this will hopefully happen mid week next week, except i am beginning to wonder if i have forgotten how to list on Etsy, so with that said i will probably start trying to list on Wednesday and chances are something may appear by Thursday!


one last thing that i thought of as i was working on number nine tea towel, just a small detail i told myself, i haven't actually test driven my tea towels, they have gone through Mrs W. Machine and Mr T, but i haven't actually used them to dry up yet. this doesn't surprise me one bit really, such a simple thought but so easily forgotten.
so tonight i will find my willing victim...i am thinking of saying to my man when he walks through the door "i need you now" which will get his attention and then throw him the tea towel and point to a large pile of wet dishes...


she is over come from the fumes of the potpourri bowl staged in her home ~ Tif

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

my wish came true...i can't wait to shop in your etsy store again!!

if i'm lucky enough to buy one you shouldn't worry about it's drying ablities because i'll be framing mine!

now i'll use my wishes on your house selling :)

xo laura

Hear Me Roar! said...

Why on EARTH would anyone dry their dishes with these priceless heirloom tea towels? Banish the thought, they're so obviously destined for much better things than housework. They are quite lovely though... I am SO glad they're going in the shop and not just gifted away to people who may not understand how marvelous they really are.

Now lets do lunch soon!

Violette Crumble said...

I love the tea towels so much!

I hope you open the shop soon, I want to get myself a slip for Christmas :)

Francesca said...

i really really love your new stuff, you're so clever. and i would hang mine up too. i'm going to cross fingers and hope i get there in time.

and if they don't dry up well, you can just list them as wallhangings non?
x

Anonymous said...

That's a great thrift store find!
I was walking near a local college one day, and found all the discarded pottery, from Ceramics classes in the dumpster. I found some really cool bowls.
Those towels are very cute!

Diane said...

While looking over your "To Do List," I couldn't help but notice that "keeping fingers and toes crossed at all times" just might get in the way of knitting all those dishclothes and scarves!

Unknown said...

You can't actually use those tea towels, they deserve to be framed in huge gilt frames and hung above fancy mantelpieces! Luckily, I don't partake in housework, or the lowly dishwashing. I have staff for that....
....oh, sorry, I was just dreaming there. Back into the kitchen, cinderella, the breakfast dishes are still there from yesterday.
Fab towels, I love them (and they may make me want to wash up a little more often!) :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like everyone had the same idea... I was going to say, who cares if they aren't absorbent, they'd look so pretty hanging up!

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Hi Tif
Ethel seems to be doing a grand job..!!
As for men and washing/drying up.. they become extinct in our house..even the cat scarpers!
Love the latest creations..
I too would love to buy one of your divine slips..
are they going to be in your shop soon?
Michelex

Anonymous said...

I love your clever towels!I Just stumbled on your Blog - lots of fun!!