Friday, November 30

"Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!"...courtesy of 'the grinch'

it occurred to me this morning as i was doing my usual round of vacuuming used dog's hair and scrubbing dried toothpaste off the sinks that tomorrow will be the first day of december...and do you know dear readers it was like the 'grinch at christmas'. a small warm feeling started to appear inside of me and the spirit of christmas engulfed my 'bah humbugness'...for tomorrow the advent calendar begins and the excitement will start in our household...

and so to keep my little flame of 'christmas cheer' alive i went and scrabbled around under the table in my studio and located a book that i bought several weeks back...i was buying a knitting book as a gift for my friend Suzanne's birthday and stumbled upon this one, it is such a lovely book i just knew i needed it even though i hadn't a hope of knitting anything from it in time for this year...

i like the retro vintage feel to the lay out and the colors they use. i have flicked through a few pages and it has made the 'little glow' grow...

wonderful stockings...

all those knitted hats...


i would love a pair of knitted socks like these to wear with my flannel pj bottoms...


maybe if i set about them in January they will be ready for next christmas to warm my toes...

to add to these lovely festive pictures i will share my new plates ("not more plates, Tif, what is it with you and plates") i found these on the anthropologie sale table the day after thanksgiving, there was a huge pile and i was over come with excitement as they were marked 70% off...


"one, two, three, four" shuffle to counter "could you hold these for me please i am just getting more" shuffle back "five, six, seven aaaargh! this can not be" yes dear readers, the plates turned to royal blue in color...i could not have royal blue on my christmas table mixed in with red, any passing stranger invited in for 'christmas cheer' would immediately think they had time travelled and were in 1977 celebrating the Queen's jubilee (gosh i do so hope i have the right year, sorry ma'am)...and that would never do.
so there i was again left with a 'plate dilemma'... so i made the decision to buy six as it was nice and even and i knew i could buy them 'on line' later.


oh silly me, 'on line' they are still full price, every day i check and they are still full price...i refuse to purchase them full price at $12 when i paid $3.95 in the shop...

so there we are, i am feeling a lot more cheery and have plans to hang my door decoration tomorrow, yes sirree and quite recklessly unearth a few decorations gathering dust in the attic...

wishing you a lovely weekend and some holiday cheer where ever you are ~ Tif

6 comments:

Francesca said...

ahh 1977. those were the days. i was in yorkshire at my aunt jo's street party, waving my flag. 4 years old. the queen was still very special in the 70s.

$12 for how many plates, one or a set?

i really must go to sleep.

dottie angel said...

ONE!!!!!!!!!!! that is why i refuse to pay up :) i need another six and i refuse to pay...(runs off and gets her calculator) $72 for six more plates when i got the first six for (tap, tap, tappity tap) $23.70...

i believe i was 9 years old and can remember with great foundness the jubilee party our cul-de-sac threw...ahh those were some good times ;)

Hear Me Roar! said...

I have that book on my wishlist at Amazon.com! Looking forward to next Saturday... and good luck on your platequest!

Francesca said...

ooh i see, i thought it was going to be $12 for a set of 6 and that the dollar had gone even further down. you're right, that's quite a lot for a plate.

Gigibird said...

Gosh no wonder I am always broke - the last plate I bought was an Emma Bridgewater side plate for £10.00
Actually I have bought one from Oxfam for a £1.00 since then.
1977 I was......14 and doing my best to dodge street parties that seemed to be everywhere.....

Jen Kershner said...

Isn't that book wonderful? It is the reason I started knitting. I starting the felted tote in it.

I love your blog. I just floated in from Artsy Momma's blog and I'm so glad to have discovered you.