Thursday, November 15

a bit of this and a bit of that...

i decided to do a bit of thrift shopping today...but sadly the pickings were slim, i think it is because i was sitting in a traffic jam and while i was waiting everyone else was in the thrift store buying all the good stuff...i did manage a few pillowcases and a bed sheet. i was hoping to find pairs of pillowcases as i have an idea hatching in my head, there were plenty of pairs to be had, but they were all rather dodgy looking...and the only ones that were any good were single. so i think i will just go ahead and pair what i have and make them match with colors and prints...does any of that actually make sense.


i did find some rather nice side plates, but as usual they never have the number required...i am all for mixing and matching plates but these ones happen to be in a set of five. that is not helpful at my table...i nearly just bought four of them because i can mix plates in even numbers, just not odd numbers (don't ask me why, it is a quirk in my brain that does not allow me to mix odd numbers of plates at the table...something to do with being an 'even' numbered family i think)...anyhow as the plates were only 49c (ooooh, i nearly put 'p'...spooky! it's like every now and then i sign my maiden name! how can that be after 17 years of wedded bliss, ummm) i decided to buy the five so i had the opportunity to have a 'casualty' and still have four left in the future. we do not in our house own a single set of plates or bowls without a chip or crack...even our glassware is looking a bit sad. but i think i like it that way, makes for an eclectic looking table...just as long as it is 'evens'..

i dabbled in some quilting again yesterday...i did this instead of watching 'little house on the prairie'. you know it's a real wake up call when you sit down to watch 'the prairie' and realize you have already seen the episode that is a repeat in the first place...that is someone up there telling you to get on with things and stop sitting around.

so i took the hint and decided to have a go at making a cushion for one of my studio stools. i am not overly joyed with the results, in fact i decided that it wasn't right with the cushion pad in it and so cut a few layers of old blanket up and stuffed it in the cushion cover, it has ended up more as a cushion 'pad' rather than cushion...i think the quilting made it too stiff and so it just didn't sit right...i then over stitched the edge which did nothing to help other than make the thing definitely too small for the cushion pad...


like most things i make, i always have to go away and come back and look at it later, i am sure we are all our own worst critic...when i took a look later it seemed ''not so bad" and after all i decided, my bottom will be covering it up most of the time! so not too worry...


she is off to dry up her thrift store plates with her tea towel ~ Tif

9 comments:

roseroomnz.com said...

I like your cushion but what I really like is your ironing board cover in the background.

dottie angel said...

ahhh yes,nothing like a bit of 'cath kidston' to cheer up 'ironing'...which technically i am allergic to and only iron things related to my craft and not my family :)

my lovely long time besty pal Debbie sent it to me from the UK to brighten up my 'sadly dull, packed up in boxes' studio...and it has worked a treat!

Gigibird said...

I usually find that once I start making something I constantly think of ways to improve things.
The cushion looks great and once you've sat on it a few times it will soften up.....not that I'm suggesting you have a big arse!

leslie said...

well, i think it's cute, cute, cute!

Francesca said...

i LOVE your cushion, you really are too critical. and i would happily watch repeat after repeat of columbo if i happened upon it at about half past one on channel five on a wednesday afternoon when my father-in-law has my boy!

if you cut the pillow cases in half you can make pairs non? if you sew each half to something else jzujzy? (i hope you can read 'jzujzy', that's the only way i can think to spell it.)
x

Anonymous said...

well, i adore the cushion you made- it's so pretty and i know it would make one sit up so nicely and with good posture.

Anonymous said...

Well I like it!

Having a thrift drought here too! Or maybe I'm getting fussier?

dottie angel said...

pure genius!!!!!!!!! Fran :)

Violette Crumble said...

I'm loving the cushion a lot. I think you have thrift store luck, as I never find nice bedding.